Social Media Policy
West Seattle Jr. Football and Cheer (WSJF&C) recognizes the importance of the Internet in shaping the public’s perception of our organization. WSJF&C also recognizes the importance of our board members, coaches, players, and volunteers in leading and setting the tone of social media interactions in a manner that advances WSJF&C’s mission and goals.
WSJF&C mission is to provide fitness, positive life skills, and promote high achievement in school and the community for youth ages six to 14. We strive to provide affordable programming to many of children in our community who cannot afford to experience football and cheer with their peers.
This Social Media Policy applies to all board members, coaches, players, and volunteers (“WSJF&C Members”). This Social Media Policy applies to all social media content posted by WSJF&C Members in their professional and personal capacity to the extent such content is related to WSJF&C.
WSJF&C strives to create a positive and inclusive organization that is dedicated to helping young athletes reach their potential. In furtherance of this goal, WSJF&C aspires to engage members of the West Seattle community in positive, honest, transparent, and knowledgeable dialogue about WSJF&C through social media. WSJF&C views social media as an important tool for communicating its successes and opportunities for athletic and individual development. WSJF&C also views social media as a platform for receiving constructive feedback from the community and for discussing WSJF&C challenges and opportunities for improvement in a positive and constructive way.
All WSJF&C Members shall abide by the following guidelines when using social media:
- Use good judgment when posting comments on any official WSJF&C sites. Bear in mind that your comments can create liability for WSJF&C. If you are unsure whether a comment is appropriate to post, either do not post it or obtain prior approval from the board of directors.
- Do not post content that would harm WSJF&C or damage WSJF&C ‘s reputation. Remember that even while you are on your own personal time, people may interpret your online postings or social interactions as though they were official WSJF&C statements.
- Be positive and respectful, and always take the high road. When disagreeing with others’ opinions, remain appropriate and polite. If you find yourself in a situation online that is becoming antagonistic, ask the WSJF&C board of directors for advice on how to disengage from the dialogue in a polite and respectful manner that reflects well on WSJF&C.
- Be smart about what you publish. Once something is posted, it exists online forever. Ask yourself, “would I want to see this published in the newspaper or posted on a billboard tomorrow or ten years from now?” If the answer is “no,” do not post.
- Encourage others to engage in positive interactions on social media. If you are concerned about any WSJF&C member’s use of social media, please bring your concerns to the attention of your the WSJF&C board of directors.
- Personally-identifiable information (information, such as a name and date of birth and/or a street address which, when taken together, can identify a particular individual) should not be disclosed in any manner on official WSJF&C social networking sites without the approval of the WSJF&C board of directors.
- If you are creating a WSJF&C related site (e.g., a Facebook page for the team you child plays on), you are expected to add a WSJF&C board of director as an admin or with similar access. WSJF&C board members. WSJF&C would only access the website in case of emergency AND the regular administrator was unavailable.
Violations of the Social Media Policy
The WSJF&C board of directors shall have the authority to monitor and enforce this Social Media Policy. The board, and any individual appointed by the board, shall have the authority to remove any inappropriate or offensive comments from official WSJF&C sites and to block any individual or organization from posting on any official WSJF&C social media platform if they determine, in their sole discretion, that such removal or block is in the best interests of WSJF&C.
The failure of any WSJF&C Member to adhere to this Social Media Policy shall be considered a violation of the WSJF&C Code of Conduct, and any WSJF&C Member who fails to adhere to this Social Media Policy shall be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of such individual’s involvement in WSJF&C.
By signing below, I certify that I have read and understand the WSJF&C Social Media policy and understand there could be disciplinary actions for failing to comply. Actions could include expulsion from the WSJF&C franchise.